+91 9015 170 171
+91 97170 444 77

Submit Your Case

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is meant by “grounds for divorce”?

    A "ground" for divorce is a "reason" for divorce. A set of judicially recognized reasons for divorce . You must use one or more of these reasons to justify your divorce.

    Back To Top

  • What are the terms used to identify the parties in a divorce proceeding?

    The party filing the action is called the "Petitioner", while the other party to the divorce is referred to as the "Respondent".

    Back To Top

  • What are the recognized grounds for divorce in Hindu Laws?

    As per Hindu Marriage Act following grounds are recognized for divorce:

    • Adultery   Adultery

    • Cruelty   Cruelty

    • Desertion   Desertion

    • Conversion to another religion   Conversion to another religion

    • Unsoundness of mind or mental disorder   Unsoundness of mind or mental disorder

    • Virulent and Incurable form of leprosy   Virulent and Incurable form of leprosy

    • Venereal disease   Venereal disease

    • Renounce the World   Renounce the World

    • Not heard for a period of seven years or more   Not heard for a period of seven years or more

    Beside above, there are also other grounds available to wife exclusively.

    Back To Top

  • What does the term ‘alimony’ or maintenance means?

    The money paid by one ex-spouse to the other for support under the terms of a court order or settlement agreement following a divorce.

    Back To Top

  • Is spousal support or interim maintenace available while the divorce is pending in court, or only after the divorce has become final?

    Yes, as per Hindu Marriage Act, interim maintenance can be provided to either of the spouse in case one of the party does not have sufficient means and the other party has sufficient means. There is no definite formula as to the quantum of maintenance and it varies from case to case, status of the parties and the past conditions when spouse were living together.
    After the final decision, permanent alimony or maintenance is fixed.

    Back To Top

  • Is there any waiting period before a case of divorce is filed in the court?

    Yes, Generally a case of divorce is filed only after the expiry of one year of the marriage. However, under exceptional circumstance, this time period can be waived off.

    Back To Top

  • What is the total duration/time of divorce case?

    In case of divorce by mutual consent, decree of divorce can be obtained any time after six months and before eighteen months. This period can be further reduced depending upon the exigencies of the situation.
    In contested divorce cases, divorce is generally obtained after 18 to 30 months and even longer. However, time factor is dependant upon variety of factor which includes how aggressively case is being pursued, question of maintenance, etc.

    Back To Top

  • Who is entitled to have the custody of children in case of contested divorce?

    Basically, this question is determined by the Court of Guardian & Wards. There is no fixed formula as to who would be entitled to have the custody of children. In deciding issue of custody of children, the most important factor is the welfare of the children. Welfare of children is the paramount consideration in deciding this issue.

    Back To Top

  • How would I know where my divorce case will be filed?

    Your case can be filed at any of the following place:

    • Where marriage has taken place

    • Where husband and wife started living soon after the marriage and prior to separation

    • Where the respondent is residing

    • Wife can also file a case from the place where she is residing after leaving matrimonial home.


    Back To Top

  • How long will one have wait to remarry after obtaining divorce?

    As per law, appeal against divorce is to be filed within thirty days. In case appeal is not filed then after thirty days. In case appeal is filed, when appeal is dismissed.

    Back To Top

  • Procedure/steps/process involved by mutual consent:

    STEP 1: Divorce Petition will be drafted which will include terms of settlement. Basically, Husband and Wife have to reach to understanding regarding maintenance issue. As per law, there is no minimum or maximum limit. It is basically about the understanding and consensus between the parties.

    STEP 2: This Mutual Consent Divorce Petition under section 13(B) in case of Hindu Marriage and under section 28 Divorce Ac1869 in case of Christian Marriage will be filed in the Court supported with affidavits.

    STEP 3: Matter will come up for hearing in the Court and generally parties have to be present before the Court and their statement is recorded in the Court.

    STEP 4: After recording of statements, First Motion will be passed.

    STEP 5: Thereafter, parties will be given time from six months to Eighteen Months to file the Petition for second motion

    STEP 6: Step 2 and 3 will be repeated

    STEP 7: Court will grant second motion

    STEP 8: And immediately thereafter divorce decree will be asked to prepared

    STEP 9: With in a week, this divorce decree will be given to the parties or their advocate/s

    In order to cut the waiting period of minimum six months before filing Petition for second motion, an application is moved for the waiver of six months period which is generally allowed by the Court in Delhi.

    Back To Top

  • Documents Required:

    • Address proof of Husband

    • Address proof of Wife

    • Marriage Certificate

    • Four passport photographs of marriage of both husband and Wife


    Back To Top

  • What is the procedure of Divorce in Contested cases?

    In contested divorce case, the spouse who wants to initiate action, has to take one of the ground of divorce mentioned under law. A Petition will be drafted which will be filed in the Court. Other spouse, will be asked to make an appearance before the Matrimonial/Divorce Court and to answer reply to the Divorce Petition filed by the other spouse. Then the matter goes in for Trial. Parties have to lead evidence. One who files divorce petition will have to prove its case. After determination of all issues court can pass a divorce.

    Back To Top

  • When an FIR is filed under section 498A, 406 of Indian Penal Code( IPC)?

    FIR under section 498A & section 406 is filed on the complaint of wife. Fir basically covers two important things,

    a) Cruelty in relation to the demand of dowry
    b) Entrustment of Istridhan (Jewellary articles received by wife at the time of wedding) and the misappropriation of the same

    Back To Top

  • When an FIR is registered under Anti-dowry law?

    Answer as above.

    Back To Top

  • What is the protection against 498A and 406 of IPC?

    Husband and his relative have to file for anticipatory bail in the Court.

    Back To Top

  • What does anticipatory bail means?

    As per law, under section 438 of Criminal Procedure Code(Cr.P.C.), one can apply for anticipatory bail in Court of Session and/or High Court.

    Back To Top

  • Where can we find good Divorce Lawyers in Delhi?

    We offer our specialized service in all matter related to divorce, maintenance, child custody, etc. for Indian and NRI & PIOs clients.

    Back To Top

  • What is the Procedure of Divorce for NRI, PIO, etc

    The procedure for filing divorce cases for NRI, PIO is same as that of others. Procedure for divorce by mutual consent for NRI is also same.

    Back To Top

  • What does judicial separation means?

    It is a relief, which is available to either of the spouse. The party which seeks judicial separation has to take one of the grounds mentioned under section 13 of Hindu Marriage Act. Once, a relief is granted, parties are allowed to live separately for one year. If matrimonial ties are not restored then aggrieved party has a right to go to the Court. Thus, judicial separation becomes a separate ground and another ground for Divorce.

    Back To Top

Fix Appointment

  • (Date Format: mm/dd/yyyy)

  • captcha


    • By Ankita

      "I was going through one of the most difficult phase of my life. DL helped me in overcoming situation with counseling and provided effective solution."

    • By Souparna

      "They are personal to pain and professional to approach. I was impressed with their services. Strongly recommended."

Read more